I’ve been a little slow in making the following announcement, but, in case you hadn’t already heard, I’ve been selected as one of nytheatre.com’s 2008 People of the Year! Very exciting, I have to say. The 15 annual honorees are chosen for “indelible contributions to the cultural landscape during the past 12 months,” and I’m glad somebody thought I made some. I was picked specifically for “a stream of successful performances this year that showcased his remarkable versatility.” And what performances were those, you ask? Here’s a recap…
- Merry Mount by Trav S.D., directed by Ian W. Hill (Metropolitan Playhouse’s Hawthornucopia, January)
- 3800 Elizabeth by Aaron Baker and Frank Padellaro, directed by Aaron Baker (The Welding Club, February – March)
- Babylon Babylon, written and directed by Jeff Lewonczyk (Piper McKenzie Productions, April – May)
- Demons Five, Exorcists Nothing by William Peter Blatty, directed by Jeff Lewonczyk (The Brick Theater’s Film Festival, June)
- Q & A: The Perception of Dawn by Danny Bowes, directed by Gyda Arber (The Brick Theater’s Film Festival, June – July)
- As You Like It by William Shakespeare, directed by Matt Johnston (Boomerang Theatre Company, July – August)
- No Applause, Just Throw Money, written and directed by Trav S.D. (Theater for the New City, September)
- The Blood Brothers Present…The Master of Horror by James Comtois, Qui Nguyen, and Mac Rogers, directed by Pete Boisvert and Patrick Shearer (Nosedive Productions, October – November)
My very special thanks to all of the writers, directors, and theater companies who asked me to be in their shows; and to all of my co-stars, who made me look good onstage. If it weren’t for all of you, no one would be thinking twice about me. So thank you, thank you, thank you for all of the opportunities this year.
And even more special thanks to Martin and Rochelle Denton at nytheatre.com, for their enduring and continued support of my career – and the careers of dozens/hundreds/thousands of other artistic folk like me and the other honorees. I shudder to think where we would all be without them.
And who are some of the other honorees, you ask? Well, they happen to include many friends and colleagues, like…
- Gyda Arber – director and co-star of Q & A: The Perception of Dawn; creator and co-writer of Suspicious Package; co-star of Babylon Babylon, Everything Must Go, and Lord Oxford Presents the Second American Revolution Live!; Outreach Director for The Brick Theater; and longtime nytheatre.com contributor
- Arthur Aulisi – co-star of Big Thick Rod, Linus & Alora, and Me; Associate Artistic Director of ANDHOW! Theater Company
- Ivanna Cullinan – director of Breaking Ranks; co-star of The Magnificent Ambersons, The Rape of the Lock, and The Granduncle Quadrilogy: Tales from the Land of Ice!; and longtime nytheatre.com contributor
- Bricken Sparacino – producer of Comedy Period; co-creator and co-host of Until Midnight; and director of American Badass, Mother May I, and Those Whistling Lads
- Robert Attenweiler – author of Torrents, All Kinds of Shifty Villains, Kansas City or Along the Way, and Tex the King; Artistic Director of Disgraced Productions
Many congratulations to all of this year’s honorees! As you can see, I am in very good company. If you haven’t checked any of them out yet, keep your eyes and ears open for them in 2009 – I’m sure they will all be just as busy!
And thanks again to Martin and Rochelle for the great honor. Consider the bar officially raised for me in 2009.